Relocation has crept into my thoughts...

A little research shows me that 40% of Americans are born, live their lives, and  die in approximately the same area. I think that number has moved down. I personally thought it would be much higher. Recently, I have been wondering if I would be part of that number. Or not.

Riding my bike this summer on a beautiful
day at Marblehead, on the shore of Lake Erie.
The most obvious reason I'm thinking about this now is age. I've made it past my 60th birthday. Let me tell you, it's not much fun. My high school has been closed. Conversations with friends my age used to be about rock stars and sports. Now there about health concerns and sports.
My kids are now adults and require less guidance/supervision like in the old days. My wife has a good job as an RN, and is a long time employee for a hospital. But she is near my age as well.

As for myself, employment now is more of a struggle. I'm not able to find a full time job anymore. So I spend my time with a part time job. To say it's unfulfilling compared to my normal career would be a vast understatement. But I make the best of it. Actually the best part of my job has nothing to do with the job itself. It's working and talking with kids about their hopes and dreams for the future. If any of them take my advice or mentoring to heart, that's a bigger reward to me than the meager paycheck I earn. The point is, the job isn't keeping me here.
.
My health, knock on wood, is OK. I've never been a workout warrior, but I started riding a bike again and I love it. I'm not ready for the Tour de France, but I can ride for over 20 miles and work up a sweat. So my wife and I would be able to enjoy any benefits of relocation before we would need any assistance.

The biggest obstacle is family. My parents and most of their generation has passed. My sisters still live in the region, but we are rarely able to get together. Some of my wife's family is here. But similarly, we don't get together like the old days.

Our oldest son is handicapped. He would probably remain with us wherever we go. But he isn't as big a challenge as you would think. Our other son is out of college, but hasn't found a career job yet. That could be anywhere. Our daughter lives out of state. Yet, we are still able to remain in close contact with her. The reason: technology.

Back in the day, keeping in touch over distances was quite a challenge. People were actually forced to write letters. And put a stamp on it! You had to collect your thoughts, write legibly, and go through the process. There was no immediacy at all.

Phone calls? Too expensive. There used to be a thing called a long distance call. That was a big deal. People would run to the phone when they received one. A long distance call was more expensive, and therefore more important. Today there is no difference in cost for talking across the street, or across the country.

Old sci-fi movies would always have people of the future using a "video-phone" of some sort. Imagine actually seeing who you are talking to. Would a day like that ever come? Well, welcome to the future. We've been using Skype regularly with people for a number of years now. I use it almost daily.

Even social media has shrunk the world. I'm not a Facebook fan, but that type of media allows one to keep track of "friends" anywhere in the world.

So I'm running out of reasons to oppose relocation. I think the final obstacle would be the familiarity with your surroundings. I was born and raised in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I've had Indian Fever, barked like a dawg, and shouted Let's go Cavs all my life. I've lived through the good and bad times here. Recently, development has made this place unbelievably nice. But you can't change the weather in this part of the country.

We know what to expect with the weather, and we can handle it. We're not like those crazy drivers in Atlanta that see snow and drive like lunatics. But in the end, does it make sense to stay in a place where you have to spend almost half the year inside?

These are questions my wife and I will be wrestling with over the next few years. Economics is the final decider of course. But someday soon, we will run out of excuses to stay, or valid reasons to go. Depending on your point of view.
Sun rise at Myrtle Beach, SC during a recent vacation. Possible relocation candidate?


***********************

This has been my first attempt at a blog. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. Let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog