Let's Go Cavs.....

1964 NFL Champs. So long ago black and white photos were popular.
On December 27, 1964 the Cleveland Browns won the NFL championship. I was just a kid. A very young kid at that. The game was blacked out on TV in Cleveland, but I do remember not being more than 3 feet away from the radio. I'm sure I had some game materials in front of me while I listened. But I didn't need a roster. I had it memorized. (Still do.) I followed the Browns closely that season, and when they won it all I was extremely excited and proud. It was exhilarating for the entire area. Books were written about it, legends were made, and memories to last a lifetime. It stands as the last major sports championship in my home town.

There have been plenty of near misses. The 97 Indians lost the lead in the 9th inning of the 7th game of the World Series. That one still hurts. I really believe the Indians were supposed to win that. There's no way the mojo of the universe should have allowed the Florida Marlins win the World Series that year..

 The original Browns have had so many near misses they have names:  Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble. All of them take a little piece out of your life.

Miracle of Richfield. Chones before the broken foot.
The Cavaliers didn't even exist until 1970. The first few years of the expansion franchise were pathetic. But they moved to a new building in Richfield, Ohio, added some talented players, and in 75-76 made the NBA playoffs for the first time. The fans went wild that year, I think because the team had been so lousy only a year or so earlier. That team didn't have what you would call a superstar, but as a team they were a force and pulled out some upsets. But starting center Jim Chones broke his foot during the eastern finals against Boston and we lost in six games. Many people thought that was the only thing that stopped us that year.  They have had some fine teams since then. But they were mostly during the Michael Jordan championship years. (The shot)

I thought it would happen for the Cavs last season. We had the return of the prodigal son, Lebron James. One of the finest young talents in the game in Kyrie Irving. They were joined by Kevin Love, a dominating all star forward. They did make it to the finals. I had an opportunity to go to one of the finals games and I'll never forget it.. The atmosphere in this town was electric. The scene on East 4th Street outside the arena was nuclear. If a town could "will" a championship, that was the time. But then the injuries came. KLove got mugged in Boston, and Kyrie broke his kneecap. Lebron played heroically, but in the end it wasn't enough Wait till next year.

Next year is now.

Mo is back.
With the resigning of Tristin Thompson, the media is saying that the band is back together. But I actually think it's a new, improved band. We have added veterans that not only will play significant minutes. But they can actually play and contribute. Adding Mo Williams at guard is a great move. He will play plenty because Kyrie might not be playing much until Christmas. Mo can still play. He scored 52 points in a game just last season. Richard Jefferson is a fine shooter and a pro's pro. He will finally be the piece that contributes when Lebron takes a blow. Another new piece that's really an old piece is Andy Varejao. He seems to be moving well after his achilles injury. It's great to have his energy back. Sasha Kaun is an NBA rookie. But he's 30 years old and has played for Blatt internationally. It's always good to have depth as we saw last season.

All that being said, we might not see the real Cavs until January. Kyrie hasn't started to practice yet. Lebron hasn't practiced in a week because of injections in his back. KLove will be rounding into shape. Iman Shumpert is recovering from wrist surgery. Mozgov isn't 100% yet. But it just doesn't matter. If last season showed us anything, it's that the regular season just doesn't matter.

I still see the Cavs as the top seed in the East. Competition will come from the Bulls, Heat, and I think the Bucks are getting there. There are several strong teams in the West, but I think the Spurs will shake out as the winners out there. The Finals? Cavs win! Cavs win!

Better trophy next year.
How will I feel when my hometown finally wins a major sports championship? I can honestly say I don't know. It's never happened before when I was an adult. But after the parties and parades. After the hugging and dancin' in the streets, we will be left with memories. In the end, that's what's most valuable.

A kid will come up to me and ask, "Old man, what was it like when the Cavs won the championship?"
I'll begin, "The town was electric."...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog