How the Indians Can Do Right By The Indians.....

I am born and raised in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Regular readers of this blog will also know I'm also a baseball fan. That means I'm a fan of the Cleveland Indians and their controversial semi-retired trademark of Cheif Wahoo.

The semi-retired Chief Wahoo
April baseball in Cleveland means three things. Bad weather, small crowds (except for the opener), and a group of about four Native Americans with a sign outside the stadium that says "Down With The Chief". We live in an extremely political correct age. We try not to offend any group. (Unless you're running for President). Is it time the Indians permanently abandoned the Chief? How about the name Indians completely?

A baseball team named the Cleveland Indians have been around for over 100 years now. That means people have been born, lived, and died as fans of the team. I have never been offended by the name or the mascot. The name Cleveland Indians to me stood for a team that should embody Native American characteristics such as aggressiveness, loyalty, pride, and a never give up attitude. Are these bad things? In fact, it is thought the name Cleveland Indians came into being because back then the Cleveland Spiders baseball team had a popular Native American player named Louis "Chief" Sockalexis.

I grew up with, and loved this sign at old Municipal Stadium
Chief Wahoo is simply a caricature or cartoon of an Indian brave. The current version has been around since the 1950's. He is bright red and has a smiling face with big teeth. But personally I don't think it is meant to represent any race or person. It's just a cartoon. Generations of baseball fans know, love, and respect the Chief. Including me. I don't think to myself, "Oh, boy, look at that funny looking symbol for Native Americans". But apparently a number of true Native Americans are offended by it. So I say, in the spirit of racial harmony - change it.

Five cents
I'm truly sick of this controversy. If Native Americans are truly offended - change it, The team could consult and work with representatives of Native American people to change the trademark. There are a number of Native American symbols and heroes that I would be fine with. I love that old Indian head nickel when I get one.

There used to be a restaurant chain named Sambo's. That's gone. When you watch a show like Antiques Roadshow you can see primitive Negro figurines depicting slavery times. Even I have to cringe when I see them. But they're valuable and collectible now. Maybe someday Chief Wahoo will become valuable and collectible.

I would be opposed to changing the name Indians. I do not believe it is offensive such as the Washington Redskins name in the NFL. Besides, if the name Indians were changed to something like the Cleveland Deer, (with Bambi as the mascot), where does that leave the Native Americans? Totally ignored as they usually are. A mistreated and forgotten people. A heritage ignored. Their problems, both historic and contemporary - ignored. I think I have an idea.

The Crazy Horse Memorial - still under construction in the Black Hills, SD.
How about instead of getting rid of the Indians - celebrate them. Celebrate their heritage. Bring attention to their culture, heroes, and even their problems. Establish a scholarship fund for people of Native American heritage. Have some informational posters around Progressive Field. Play a preseason game on or near an Indian land or community. With proceeds going to the Tribes. Heck, if you want you could have the Navajo Lower Reserved section, or the Lakota Bleachers.

Would this be a bad thing? I say end this needless controversy. Maybe we can turn this into something positive. Maybe in the future, instead of a small group of Native Americans protesting; we can have a busload of Native Americans join us on opening day to cheer on our Tribe. Now if we could only get more hitting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog