My Niagara Falls Zipline Adventure.....

I've always been fascinated by Niagara Falls. It's just so damn cool to look at up close. It's an unbelievable amount of water. Every drop of the Great Lakes goes over the falls. And it runs 24/7.
Our take off point.

I loved visiting it as a kid, as an adult, and even showing it to my kids when they were younger. When my daughter Kristina was doing the college search thing, I determined Niagara University would be worth a look. She liked it too, and wound up getting a degree there. She now lives and works in Buffalo, so we visit her, and the area regularly. Last summer, we even rode our bikes around Goat Island between the Canadian and American Falls. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't need a big excuse to visit the Falls.

A couple of weeks ago I'm reading the Buffalo News online and come across this tidbit: Zipline Ride at the Falls Readies to Open. A Zipline? At the Falls? Hell, yeah!

I had never been on a Zipline. It always looked a little bit like flying. There's nothing under your feet, and you're held up only by some  cheap hook that could crack at any second! You have to sign a waiver to go down. So there must be something dangerous to it! There was also a weight limit, which I was well under. (Don't want to break that hook!)

Would you let this guy into your country?
I was Skyping with Kris and showed her the article about the zipline. "Dadeo, let's do this!" she not surprisingly said. The zipline was on the Canadian side. It would give me an opportunity to finally use my 2-year old passport. The picture on my passport makes me look like a terrorist, but I can't help my looks. Besides I've missed visiting Canada. To this day it remains the only foreign nation I've ever visited. Guess I'm not much of an international traveler. Call me weird, but I feel anxiety when people don't speak English around me. That probably stems from when I visited french speaking Quebec City on my honeymoon. I missed a bus stop because I couldn't communicate well with the bus driver, and couldn't read the signs.

I had a couple of days off from work, and Kris was off too, so I drove up the night before. It's about a three and a half hour drive to her apartment. She took me for a late dinner to a cool bar called The Founding Fathers. (It's decorated with portraits of all the Presidents and was recently voted one of the 18 best bars in the country by Esquire Magazine.) Then we returned to her apartment, and reserved a ride time on the zipline for the next day.

After tossing and turning on her couch through the night, I woke and prepared for our adventure. She took me to a trendy diner for breakfast, and planned our route. We would be crossing the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. Kris goes to Canada frequently and explained that there's usually no problem getting across into Canada, but it's harder to get back into America. She was correct. I've faced harder questioning at a check out in Walmart than from the Canadian border guard.

Now here is a travelers advisory: The address on the website takes you to the business office, nowhere near the falls. Apparently, this is a common mistake as they immediately provided us with directions to the ride. It was at the base of Clifton Hill. Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, Ontario is the Times Square of tourism. It's absolutely packed with restaurants, shops, attractions, and tourists.

When we got to the site, we bypassed the line for tickets, but had to sign and turn in our waivers. This ride had only been open for a week, so I asked the attendant if I might be the oldest person to try this. "Oh, no," she replied. "On opening day we had a 90 year old lady." My heart sank. I thought it would be cool to have a record like that, even for a short while. Plus, if some 90 year old lady could do it, how dangerous could it be? Maybe I'll return when I'm 91 to go for the record.
We're ready!

We went up ramps and an elevator to reach the top of the 4 story building. We were given safety helmets. Mostly for show I think, because I can't imagine they would give much protection in a freefall. At the top, helpful attendants helped us on with our safety vests. It's more than a vest really. It also goes around your legs and sort of doubles as a seat.

Four ziplines are released at a time. We were waiting our turn as the attendants made sure we were secure and gave us instructions. Extend your arms to slow down, (hell with that), and hold on to the ropes when you land. Then the attendants shouted out, "1 ready! 2 ready! 3 ready! 4 ready!" Then the commander gave the word, "Launch!" And we were off!

Having never ziplined before I was curious for this experience. You're definitely not going as fast as a roller coaster. There's no twists and turns. But the fact is there is nothing under your feet, you are by yourself, and hanging by a clip. Add to this the fact that you are at one of the natural wonders of the world, zipping toward the huge Canadian Horseshoe Falls. All I could do was laugh along the way. It was a blast.

That'a about a half mile zipline.
The zipline is 2,200 feet long, or about a half a mile. I was soaking it in, literally, as you can feel the mist. I had brought my Action Cam to record this historic event. But in the excitement, I forgot it in the car. After about a minute, I hit the landing platform, and was met by another attendant that helped me off with the vest. When I met up with Kris we both said we wished we could go again. But at $50 per ride, that wasn't going to happen.

So now I can cross off zipline from the bucket list. I've also rode the Whilpool Jet Boat ride into the Niagara rapids. Now that is an extreme thrill ride. But I've never been on the Maid of the Mist. Too tame. What's next? How about skydiving? I know somebody that's studying to be a pilot. Maybe I can talk her into a ride. She wouldn't even have to land.

EPILOGUE: There is one thing about Niagara Falls that I have always been curious about. What happens to all the fish? Shouldn't there be a bunch of dead fish at the bottom? Do they know what is about to happen as they travel towards the abyss? Does instinct send them toward the Welland Canal with the lake freighters? This has never been satisfactorily explained to me. Any ideas?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog