Man, Do We Need To Lol These Days.....

I hate to turn on the news these days. It's just been one miserable thing after another. In case you missed it, here's a recap of recent events:

  • A terrorist's bombs explode in New York and New Jersey. No one is killed, but it still has the desired effect.
  • A police shooting in Charlotte, NC. causes more civil unrest. More questions. More rage.
  • Some guy indiscriminately shoots and kills 5 people in a mall in Washington state.
  • All this is going on during a Presidential campaign that has such unpopular candidates, it makes me wish Abe Lincoln would come back as a zombie and run as a 3rd party candidate.
There's only so much misery you can take. Maybe it's important for our sanity to take a laugh break. Not just smile. Not just chuckle. But laugh. Laugh out loud! Even lmao if you can. But do we make room for comedy in our daily lives like we religiously watch the miserable news?

There are plenty of ways to relax. Plenty of ways to enjoy nature. Plenty of ways to meditate. Plenty of ways to exercise. Those are all important things to keep in your life. But what do you do to exercise your sense of humor? Can you make somebody else laugh?

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. - Mark Twain


You can look for comedy in all the usual places. Watch a sitcom on tv. Read the funnies in the Sunday paper. Enjoy a comic doing their act. Watch a funny movie. But I try to find something humorous in our daily lives. In people and situations. I'm not laughing to make fun of people. But sometimes - ya just gotta laugh.

Death by trumpet.
But when you finally find something funny, don't waste it! Enjoy it. The other night I was half-watching an old  Billy Crystal movie, Throw Mamma From the Train. I had seen that movie dozens of times, and I think it's hilarious. The part came where Danny Devito tries to kill Mamma by blowing a trumpet in her ear. Mamma awakes and exclaims, "What a dream I was having. Louis Armstrong was trying to kill me!" That line always cracks me up. And it did that night too. But for some stupid reason I tried to suppress my laughter. Why I did that I'm not sure. I was laughing so hard on the inside I almost pulled a muscle in my abdomen.

Sometimes people will cover their mouth when they laugh. I don't understand that either. Are you embarrassed to show people you are enjoying life? IMO, people never look better, or sexier than when they have a genuine smile. And laughter is the ultimate smile.


The late Jimmy Valvano gave a famous speech when he was battling cancer. In it he states, "There are three things you should do every day.....If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. If you do that seven days a week, you'll have a heck of a life."

But just remember. The first thing on that list is laugh.

Here's a link to make you laugh.

Link to Jimmy V's complete speech.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog