Cuba - Si o No?.....


I have always been fascinated by Cuba. I don't really know why. I don't have Cuban heritage. I barely can speak a few words of Spanish I remember from high school. I don't even know anybody whose been there. But there are a few reasons Cuba gets my interest.

Cuba today is a time capsule.
In the early to mid 20th century Cuba was a popular playground destination for the rich and famous, and mobsters. That made the government ripe for corruption. It's hardly inconceivable that under those conditions people would revolt. Unfortunately it was led by Communists. Anyone who remembers those scenes from Godfather II can get a brief history lesson. Fredo Corleone could have been Director of Cuban Tourism.

There has been a U.S. trade embargo with Cuba since 1958. As a result, Cuba, from a hard goods standpoint has been in a time capsule since then. American cars from the 1950's are the norm. They don't rust in the tropical climate. The Cubans have become expert mechanics to keep them running. You also won't find gleaming skyscrapers there. The older buildings are still there. Remember, the Soviet era didn't produce much inspiring architecture.

In the 1960's the biggest news out of Cuba were the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, and the Cuban missile crisis. That was about as close as we've come to World War III and nuclear obliteration. Thank God cooler heads prevailed.

My favorite Cuban is former Indian Luis Tiant.
But when I think of the Cuban people I think of music, baseball, cigars, and bravery. You still hear stories of Cuban people risking it all to get out of there and start a new life. The fictional Tony Montana started that way too. I say - hate the government, not the people.

So since the embargo, there has been little contact between Americans and Cubans. President Obama started to loosen the restrictions. But the present guy in charge changed it back again. However, apparently travel is still permitted in groups, like a cruise ship.

This year will be the 40th wedding anniversary for my wife and me. We are looking to do something special to mark the occasion. We have never been on a cruise. It's not like we really wanted to cruise. But how would we know if we never tried it? So I started looking at cruise lines web sites. Lo and behold, along with cruises of the Caribbean are cruises to Cuba. I hadn't realized it was that easy.

Now I realize any tour of Cuba would only include a sanitized version that the government would allow. I also hear all activities there are cash only. No credit cards. That makes sense, I guess. But
You can take ships like the Carnival Paradise to Cuba - no problem.
even given these restrictions, visiting Cuba is still a fascinating thought for me. My wife, however, does not share the attraction. She's not a big fan of any Communists. So an anniversary trip there is still unlikely.

It sure would be something to be driving down the coast in a '57 Chevy with a Cuban cigar. Maybe I could even visit Guantanamo Bay to look for one of my favorite movie characters, Col. Nathan Jessup. "You can't handle the truth!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog