Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes.....


There are big changes coming in my life. And therefore there are changes coming for this blog too. I've got a new job. My last day at my old job was yesterday.

When I started this job I had a bad attitude, and was sort of a bitterman. My previous career was as an account manager. I enjoyed it. It was a challenge because I got to use my creativity and make a plan for my accounts. There was definitely pressure because of sales quotas. But I was sorta good at it. Even winning prizes and awards.

Last shift
But the economy went south, and I got older at the same time. My accounts, like Pontiac dealers had turned into parking lots. Nobody wanted to take a chance on some oldish sales guy. Not when there were  plenty of younger ones available. I even applied to work at Verizon because you can make decent money in that industry. I had maybe the greatest interview of my life with them. The manager seemed sad when he told me the job had gone to somebody else. You just don't see people my age working with cell phones.

So as almost a last resort I got a job at a restaurant supply store. I thought I would be there maybe 6 months. The hours weren't bad. But to be honest, I used to make fun of people that would work at these places. Who would want to do this? These people must be morons. Obviously, my attitude changed over time.

When I started, there was only one crusty guy that was older than me. He immediately had a heart attack. I would go to work, learn the job, and come home. Didn't want to talk about it. Didn't enjoy it. But over time, I would notice things. There was a young girl that was an assistant manager that I began to notice. She was very good at her job. She had a passion for it. She took time to explain expectations and the reasons for doing things a certain way. Most employees were not fond of her, but I liked her. We had a good relationship.

My co-workers were much younger than me, and most thought I was some old loser. But some would have the courage, (wisdom), to get to know me. I also enjoyed getting to know them. Over time I was happy to go to work just to talk with them.

I soon realized something. These kids were going through exactly the same things I did when I was their age. There is nothing new. (Maybe social media, but that's it.) I drank. I partied. I knew school was hard. I knew the frustration of looking for a good job. I knew moving away from home the first time can be lonely and cause self doubt. Been there - done that.

Over time I began to give my opinions to them. Not so much as a formal mentor. More like as an interested bystander. Some of these people I am proud to call friends today. You know who you are. You're probably reading this blog.

Then a funny thing happened. Those kids got older and one by one they left for a better opportunity. That actually makes me proud. I wish them well.

Then the store changed. The marketing strategy radically changed for the worse. They've lost their corporate mission. I believe these mistakes will lead to the end of the company with time. The final straw was when store management changed. I watched the job burn managers out. The new batch had trouble adapting. It's hard to accept seeing store associates giving instruction to their superiors.

So I recently saw an opportunity that paid a lot more money. I decided it was time. I will still probably be one of the oldest at my new job. But I'm betting on myself that I can do the job. I'm betting that what I bring can actually make that company better in some small way.

Most of my new co-workers will think I'm just some old loser. But I hope some will have the courage, (wisdom), to get to know me.

I will be working my new job occasionally on Sunday. So when/if I write this blog I'm not sure. We'll see. Things change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog