The Night Ride: Wet, dark, and cold. Did I say wet?....

As some of you know, I started riding a bike this year. Well, I didn't just start. Let's say I un-retired from 2-wheeled riding after a break of around 30 years. I never liked running. My wife did long power walks. But I felt the need for speed.

I shopped around and got a great bike by Specialized. (My wife probably thinks it's too great). I started this summer without much confidence, but gradually built strength and endurance. Now, I love it.

I find riding is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, clear the mind, and do a workout all at the same time. Greater Cleveland has developed such a great park and trail system that I never get bored. But except for rare occasions, I have been riding alone. That changed this weekend.

A scene from last years Night Ride.
An organization called NEOCycle put on a great cycling festival this weekend. The idea was outstanding. There were a series of bike rides/races, with the hub being at Cleveland's revitalized Edgewater Park. There were 2 stages with music. Food trucks of all types. Seminars, beer, demonstrations, family fun for everyone. It could've, would've, and should've been spectacular.

The highlight was to be the night ride. This was a bike ride starting at Edgewater Park and traveling to the downtown Cleveland Rock Hall, and return. This was to be via the Cleveland Shoreway (Route 2). A freeway (sort of) that hugs the shore of lake Erie. The idea of traveling around sunset on a bike, on a road that you normally don't have access to with a bike sounded great. I couldn't wait to take some pictures of the skyline and lake views.

Saturday I was ready. I had got a head light and tail light for my bike. I even got a string of blue LED lights to decorate the bike and get with the spirit of the event.

It started raining Friday night. Did I say rain? More like deluge. I'm not talking sprinkles, misting, or light showers. This was a full-blown, bone soaking, wetter-than-the-bottom-of-the-ocean downpour. The temperature also seemed to have dropped about 20 degrees. I showed up Saturday pretty much covered head to toe. The crowd obviously was a lot less than the over 2,000 that participated in the inaugural event last year. But there was still a good number of people there braving the elements.

The one thing I didn't have was a poncho. I was delighted to find out they were giving them out FOR FREE! Thank God! I watched some hard core bikers in some preliminary race. These guys were going like a bat out of hell through the mud and being very competitive. I understand many of the racers came from out of state for this. Maybe they were from Atlantis. I also got a bowl of delicious chili to warm up with.

I ran into my boss and his wife waiting for the night ride. They both enjoy riding and I sort of alerted them to this delightful event. They seemed ready to make the best of it. Then the announcement came. The Shoreway would be closed because of the weather. Instead, we would be riding around Edgewater Park. Very disappointing. I had rode around Edgewater a number of times this summer. other than the lake, nothing particularly exciting.


It was finally time to start. I fired up my bike lights and got on the path. Cyclists as far as you could see, which wasn't far.We made the Grand Route around the park. Over and over. The sights were interesting. Lake Erie was angry that day. I saw waves crash that would make the waves of the Atlantic at Myrtle Beach look like a kiddie pool.

At least I've got a story to tell.
But, in a strange way, it was sorta fun. I was with my people. Cyclists. A strange breed that form a brotherhood/sisterhood in a group. If anybody needed help, people would stop. Some were experienced, some were not.  All were drenched. I rode around, then packed up, had a beer, and went home.

When I got home I told my wife all about it. She just shook her head in amazement. (She's not a cyclist.) I hear that the organizers will offer a discount on next years ride to the people that participated this year. Sign me up.

By the way. It's a nice day today. Sun's shining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog