Western New York is my new home away from home.....

You never really know how a suggestion to someone can affect your life. In what seems like a long, long time ago, my daughter was doing the college search thing. She was interested in biology, and was looking for a small school that was a "Goldilocks" distance away from home. (Not too close, not too far). After a search of the Princeton Review, I came up with Niagara University in Niagara Falls, New York. All I really knew about NU was that Calvin Murphy played there. (BTW, he's still the shortest man in the Basketball Hall of Fame.)

Kristina and me enjoying ourselves at the Avett Brothers concert.
Long story short, she went there, loved it, and graduated with honors. She wound up finding a job and living in Buffalo. She is now also working on a graduate degree at the University of Buffalo. As a by-product, I have and will continue to visit the area frequently. I have become fluent in many things WNY, (that's Western New York.) I know about wings from the Anchor Bar and Duffs.I know the difference between Goat Island and Grand Island. I also know where the "southern tier" is.

This weekend was time for my wife and I to take another venture on 90E and the New York Thuway.  The primary reason for the visit was to go to a concert by the Avett Brothers. (Their show had sold out in Cleveland, and it turns out they are my wife's new favorite music group). The concert was at Artpark in Lewiston, NY. Artpark is similar to Blossom Music Center here in Ohio, but it's much smaller. Artpark is in a beautiful setting on the banks of the Niagara River.

The Avett Brothers
Honesty time: I knew very little about the Avett Brothers. But it turns out they are very big in their genre of contemporary/folk/country music. The two brothers play guitar and banjo. They are joined by a wild chello player, and some beautiful girl jumping around with a violin. Anyway, it all works. Hell, it was outstanding.  Songs with emotion, great energy, great musicianship. Wonderful show.

The place was packed with mostly 20 somethings. But there was a decent amount of "mature" fans like myself. The youngsters stood for the whole show, the old timers sat. We all enjoyed it.

After the show, we were hungry. By the time we got out of there, most normal restaurants were closing. But my daughter was familiar with a couple of clubs that had a late night menu.  These places announce you're in the neighborhood by hearing loud music blocks away. But it was all good. Yeah, I was the oldest guy there, but I loved the energy. There's nothing like watching your beer vibrate to the music.

It was very late/early at the end of our night, but it had been a great day.

Me and Shark-Girl at Canalside.

Me and hockey/coffee/donut star, Tim Horton.
On Sunday we had time for a tour of some great sights near downtown Buffalo. We visited Canalside, which is a recreational area near the lakefront. It has a boardwalk area. Plus you can rent bikes and kayaks there. We took a quick peek inside the First Niagara Center where the NHL Sabres play, and saw the new harbor center. It was all new, and great. Buffalo is looking great these days.

Soon it was time to go, as I wanted to beat the depressed Bills fans to the Thruway.
But it was a great weekend, and I can't wait to go again.

I'm not telling. Go visit Buffalo!
So until next time: Let's Go Buff-a-lo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog