The Pizza Awards .....

The holidays mean parties, and parties usually means pizza. Most everybody likes pizza, and everybody has an opinion to share on the subject. So I decided I would share my thoughts on this important topic.

First though, remember I live in northeast Ohio. Depending on where you're reading this, you may have your own favorites. I am always shocked to find out where this blog is read. Apparently, I'm a popular guy in Russia. Maybe those guys enjoy washing their pizza down with vodka. Me, I'll enjoy a beer with my pie. Or even pop. But definitely not coffee.

But let's get to the main event. Here are some special awards for pizzas that I've found memorable.

You can't go wrong with a Stancato's sheet.
Best Sheet Pizza - Stancato's, Parma, Oh.: I don't often get a regular pizza from Stancato's. It's a good restaurant, and they have a great brunch. But when there's a big party at my house, a Stancato's sheet pizza will be there. It also passes the ultimate test for a pizza: there are no leftovers.

Best Value Pizza - Dominos: I was introduced to Dominos years ago in Bowling Green, Ohio. I liked it then, but then it disappeared from my area. A few years ago, it came back. The reason I give it the best value award is because you can order, on-line only, a large 3 topping for $7.99. I also enjoy the webpage where you can actually see a representation of the pizza you create. All of this would be useless if it was crappy pizza. It's not. It's very good.

Get Extra Napkins Award - Pizza Hut: This is without doubt the greasiest pizza you can get. It's so greasy sometimes I think it's fried. That's a shame because I think they were the first pizza chain around. Now, on top of being greasy, they are always trying to re-invent the pizza. I wish they'd just make a good, round pizza. Forget the frills.

Best Specialty Pizzas - Antonio's: This is truly outstanding stuff. Listen to some of these names: Dolce Picante, Capricoso, Chicken Spinaci Alfredo. If it even sounds good: it probably is good. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I think they use outstanding ingredients, and actually care about making a great tasting pizza. They are not cheap to say the least. But as I always like to say, quality is remembered - long after price is forgotten.

Hot-n-Ready. Not Good-n-Tasty!
Best Cardboard Pizza - Little Caesar's: A friend of mine actually likes this stuff. Smh. (Remember, I said these awards were for memorable pizzas, not just good ones.) I guess if you only have $5, and are in a hurry to get home to go to the bathroom, then this is the way to go.


Best Overall Pizza. - Romeo's Pizza: My personal favorite right now for a few reasons. Most importantly, it's very good. They also make a good Chicago style pizza that I like occasionally. Their pizza box shows you all the awards they have won, so there must be something to it. Also, you can get a buck off your order by dropping off a canned good for donation when you pick it up. That's money right out of the owners pocket. So that's reason enough to get my support.

The Extra Effort Award - Homemade: My wife and son enjoy collaborating on some homemade varieties. They try different types of crusts and  different cooking methods. They are very good, although not consistently as you would expect with the experimentation. But when they get it right, mmmmm, delicious!

So those are some that stick out. I've had many other good ones as well. Angelo's, Pasta Lear's, and Pizza Pan to name a few. I'm sure there are good ones in your neighborhood too. I'd like to hear about them. Also if you're at a holiday party, what kind of pizza is there? If it's the $5 variety, better move on to the artichoke dip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog