Superbowl Halftime Shows - That's Entertainment..,..

50 years - still no Browns.
Today is the day. The end of the football season. The Superbowl is being played out in NoCal. My local team is not in it. They never are. But it's a big enough deal that it dominates the day nationally. Everybody watches the game even if they are not football fans The most expensive commercials of the year will be watched. Ratings will be astounding. The commercials are creative and usually funny. The  halftime shows are spectacular.

While this is the 50th Superbowl to be played, in the last 20 or so years, a headline performer has been selected to perform at halftime. This has turned into sort of a pop culture event.

The old days of Up With People. Whiter than White.
In the early years of the Superbowl, an old school marching band was used. (I still think The Ohio State Marching Band could put on a hell of a show. Maybe TBDBITL could make a diagram of Janet Jackson.) Then they brought in a boring singing group like "Up With People." Next they turned it over to a Disney production.

Was it planned? Or a wardrobe malfunction/
But in 1991, pop music acts like Gloria Estefan and New Kids on the Block were brought in. However, in 2004 there was the scandal of Janet Jackson's bare breast with Justin Timberlake. Things had to change after that. So they went to less cutting edge old school performer's. Paul McCartney, The Who, and The Rolling Stones are as old as you can get (without calling in a medium). Now don't get me wrong. I love those guys. They will be remembered long after Nicki Minaj is gone. But they can't bring the energy and excitement that younger performers can bring today. Pains me to say that.

Beyonce and Destiny's Child reuniom.
The last three halftime shows I think have been among the best. Superbowl 47 (Roman numerals left with the Romans), featured Beyonce and Destiny's Child. What's not to like? Next was Bruno Mars. That kid was born to entertain. I had heard his music before, but had not paid attention to his shows. He's really a star now. People love him, Oh yeah, Red Hot Chili Peppers were there too.

Last year was Katy Perry. I'm not a big KPerry fan, but I liked the show as soon as I heard her Roar.

Today we have Coldplay. Not one of my favorites either. But Beyonce is the"co-star," so how bad could it be. So I'll be tuned in.

My nomination for next year? Shakira and JLo. Yeah. I'd watch that too.

Gotta' go. Enjoy the show. And the game of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog