Will We All Be Living In a Megacity?.....

We have all seen science fiction movies where the story goes something like this: Earth has become unlivable. It is either too polluted, to crowded, not enough food, or some trouble of that sort. So the people of Earth pack into an intergalactic Conestoga Wagon and look for greener pastures. Could things ever get that bad? Right now, it's easy for me to scoff. There seems to be plenty of everything. Of course, I live in a medium sized city where there is plenty of room, plenty to eat, and I greatly enjoy riding my bike through the seemingly never ending park system. But it's not like this everywhere.

Life in Tokyo. Don't think it's the place for me.
A friend of mine recently told me that there were 35 million people living in greater Tokyo, Japan. I laughed at that figure. Surely it was wrong. The decimal point had to be wrong somewhere. So I checked that figure myself. It was wrong. There correct number is 38 million people living in greater Tokyo, Japan. Sometimes numbers are just numbers without anything to compare it to. 38 million people is more than the combined populations of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Kentucky.

I couldn't imagine living in a Megacity like Tokyo. That's a lot of people competing for the same living space, the same air, water, and food. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure plenty of people love it there, and it has beautiful parts. I'd love to visit someday,,,briefly. But to live there? I guess that's just not for me. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

But the more I looked into population and Megacities, the more fascinating it becomes. On October 31, 2011, Earth welcomed its 7 billionth person. So if you know any 4 year-olds, congratulate them. Again, to put that number in context, around the time of the American Civil War, there were only 1 billion people on Earth. So in around 7 generations, the population has grown 7 times. We certainly are a fertile species.

Living in Hong Kong. Howdy, neighbor!
A Megacity is defined as any city with a population over 10 million. Today, there are 29 Megacities, led by Tokyo, Delhi, and Seoul. The USA only has two, New York, and Los Angeles. Sorry, Chicago. But get this, The number of Megacities is expected to grow to 41 in only the next 15 years .Not here in America, but mostly all over Asia. (I got my figures from the National Geographic, not the National Enquirer).

The rapid growth in urbanization can be traced to the industrialization of underdeveloped nations or areas. It's just easier to find work and services in a city. But the rise doesn't come without a price. Slums, pollution, and unequal social classes can occur. Governments in many of these area are eager to make a better living, and worry about a better life later,

But you've got to wonder. With such staggering population increases, where will the stress points be? You obviously need space. You need land to live, and work. Land that years ago probably was a farm. Technology and biological research has made it easier to grow more and better food crops. To do it more efficiently. But you still need land to grow the food. You still need water to irrigate it. You need more drinkable water. There are limited supplies of all that stuff. No matter how many people want it.

A marina in California. Just add water.
I have personally seen shortages during my lifetime. I have seen long lines for gasoline back in the late 1970's. But these seemed to be artificial shortages. They were because of an embargo or reduced production. Flint, Michigan has water problem due to bad pipes. But parts of California has a true water shortage. They are short of water because, well, - there's just no water around. It's just going to get worse with the increasing world population. Someday, could someone be murdered over their bottle of Aquafina?

I admit, until now, I have not been overly ecologically conscious. There are no pictures of me with Al Gore. But maybe we don't appreciate what we truly have. We won't miss it till it's gone.

Imagine a scene several years from now. A large group of kids gather in an overcrowded apartment building, sharing a shot glass of water with their meal. One of the kids speaks up, "Gee Grandma, Tell us the story of Great Grandpa Rich who lived in a 4 bedroom house with 2500 square feet. And had running water and ice coming out of his refrigerator!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog