A City Explodes With Joy.....

Under the cold, darkening skys of December 27, 1964 a very young boy is running around his house in Middleburg Heights, Ohio. "We won, we won!" I was shouting to anyone within earshot. I was celebrating the Cleveland Browns victory in the NFL Championship Game. This was
Party like it's 1964. The Browns win a Championship!
before the days of the Superbowl. I was just at an age where I was beginning to understand professional sports and followed the Browns very closely. A Championship! This must be easy! Can't wait to celebrate again next year. Little did I realize I wouldn't be able to celebrate again like that until I was a much older man.

I don't have to recount here the decades of frustration my city has endured in the world of sports. But it does take a toll on people. You keep waiting for something bad to happen, you expect to be disappointed. The fear is that these feelings creep into your attitude in life. That you just become an old "bittermen".

I thought the Cleveland Cavaliers had a good chance to end this streak of frustration. They probably should have won the championship last season. But we didn't have good luck. I'm now convinced luck is an important part of a championship. It's mostly skill, attitude, and planning. But luck is needed for the ultimate prize.

By the time the Cavs got to the Finals against the defending champion Golden State Warriors we seemed ready. But we lost the first 2 games on the road. This was a dagger. Not to the heart. But close. I was able to attend game 3 and I thought it was the most electric game I've ever seen. The crowd had tremendous energy and willed the Cavs to an easy victory. But then, disaster as we lost game 4 at home.

No team had ever come back from a 3-1 deficit. Until we did. The Cavs travelled back to California for game 5 and won. Somehow the Cavs seemed energized by the long odds. I then knew the Cavs would win game 6 at home.

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend game 6 with my son, Anthony. The crowd even surpassed the energy of game 3. Pure energy, before, during and after the game. This would set up a classic game 7 to decide the whole thing. Back at the Warriors home court.

I had hoped to attend the watch party at the Q. They were very enjoyable, especially for Wine & Gold United members. We get preferred seating and a free food buffet. The Cavs organization is first class. But this watch party sold out instantly, and I got shut out.

It's hard to explain to some people, but I was still drawn to be in the downtown area. Just in case. Remember, the experts still were picking the Warriors at home in game 7. There was a good chance I would be disappointed at the end of Sunday night.

I wound up going downtown with some younger friends. Young people bring the energy. There was a buzz on the streets even before game time .

We walked to the newly refurbished Flats east bank area, and looked for a table anywhere close to a TV. Eventually we chose a place called Punch Bowl Social. Not far from a TV, but no table or chairs. I was lucky. I got to lean against a wall. I was the oldest guy in the club.

Now let me say that, other than Lebron James, the greatest performance I saw Sunday night was the bartender at this place. You couldn't really move and everybody wanted drinks. The guy was a machine all night. He never stopped and hustled all night. He may be hospitalized and connected to IV's today.

But back to the game. While the first 6 games were not close, this one would be a nail biter. Neither team had more than a few point lead all night. In the last couple of minutes I knew anything could happen. But Lebron made one of the biggest blocks in the history of the NBA. Kyrie Irving made one of the biggest money shots in the history of money shots. Even Kevin Love harassed the league MVP Steph Curry into taking a bad shot. The final seconds ticked off. And that was it. The Cleveland Cavaliers became the first team to come back from a 3-1 deficit and became NBA Champions.
The biggest block in Cavalier's history.

There are some moments that happen that you wish you could see in slow motion. This was one of them. Pandemonium doesn't even describe the scene. Everybody was jumping, hugging, and screaming. Pure joy.

We managed to get out of the club and walk back downtown. The streets were on fire. Not with flames, but with joy. If I got one high five, I got a thousand. There were no fights, or trouble. Just a giant party.
Euclid Ave & East 4th St. after the game. Wall to wall joy!

Sports, and sports fans, are a melting pot. It didn't matter if you were black or white, man or woman, rich or poor, young or old. We were all brothers and sisters of a town called Cleveland. And we were Champions. I have lived in Cleveland all my life. I have never seen a celebration like that night. And probably never will again.

20,000 people went to the airport to welcome the team home. Close to a million are expected for the parade on Wednesday.

In the end, how much does a championship change things? The sun comes up, win or lose. Your bills are still there. It doesn't cure cancer.

But if it puts a smile on an entire city, and gives it a sense of pride. If it gives people in this town a little less cynical attitude: then that's got to be worth something.

Congratulations to the Champion Cleveland Cavaliers. Congratulations to all the fans that have been waiting. Congratulactions to all the fans yet to be born. Who can wait to tell the stories? "Gee Grandma! Tell me about that run-down block Lebron made in the Finals!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog