My Oscar Winner: Hidden Figures.....

I haven't seen all the movies nominated for Best Picture. Not even close. Actually I probably only go to a handful of movies a year. So I get frustrated when I go to a miserable one, like Girl on the Train. I also get disappointed when I miss an interesting one like Arrival. So I was thrilled the other day when I hit the jackpot with a movie called Hidden Figures.

This movie is based on a true story. It probably had me right there. I love non-fiction. I feel real life is more interesting and complicated than any convoluted fictional plot a screenwriter could come up with. I like to think I know a lot about American History. But this is a story I was clueless about.

The story revolves around the lives of 3 young black women in the early 1960's. They are played by Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, and Taraji P. Henson. They work as human computers for NASA in an age just before real computers. Now who would've thought NASA employed a room full of black women that checked the math of engineers? Not me. See what I mean; truth is stranger than fiction.

The way it was.
These women went about their lives and their jobs, and became important figures in the early days of the American space program. They wound up as American heroes.

What makes the story even more compelling is that these women started with 2 strikes against them. First, they were "just women" in the male dominated America of the 60's. Plus, they happened to be black in the segregated South. They did their jobs despite obstacles like having to use the colored rest room a half a mile away.

Katherine Johnson - an American hero.
The movie is about overcoming obstacles in a quiet way, but by doing so, making a huge difference in life. Some parts are hard to watch about attitudes in the 60's. I thought to myself if I could've withstood the treatment these women were subjected to.

This is also a movie parents should take their kids to. Because it's a real story that shows determination, skill, and working with obstacles. It also gives a picture of an earlier era in America. Changes may happen slowly. But at least they changed for the better. It is especially a movie that
young women should go see. A parent might not encourage their daughter to pursue certain careers. But this movie gives the message that if you have a passion for a certain path, to go for it. Don't let anything stand in the way.

The main character Katherine Johnson is now 98 years old. Last year, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Obama. She also had a building named after her at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia.

Hidden Figures has been nominated for 3 Academy awards, including Best Picture. It's not an artsy movie. There are few special effects. It's just a good American story. I hope you get a chance to see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog