Picking Out My Cavaliers Seats.....

Frequent readers of this blog will remember I am a member of Wine & Gold United. That is the ticket plan group membership for the Cleveland Cavaliers. The story of how I became a member goes back a few years. Originally I just wanted to get tickets to the 2015 NBA Finals. At first, I was shut out trying to get them. But I later discovered I could still get a Finals ticket by purchasing a ticket plan for the following season. I've been a WGU member ever since.

I had a 10 game plan for the 2015-16 season. My seats were high in the upper bowl and on the baseline. But they were lucky seats. I watched 2 fantastic Finals games from them last season, and won them both. Great memories. I was also a member of a winning bar trivia team. The name I gave the team was "Section 202". Although they weren't the best seats, they were pretty economical. In addition, the Cavs can spread your payments out monthly on your credit card. The Cavs also include other member benefits and giveaways. I was recently invited to a Cavs bowling party, but couldn't make it.

Pick a seat. You also get a virtual view from your potential seat.
For the 2016-17 season I was able to move my seats to a much more desireable location. They are still in the upper level, but they are on the sideline side of the court, instead of the endzone or baseline. Quicken Loans Arena has one of the largest Humongotrons in the world. It's so big and so clear, sometimes I catch myself just watching that instead of the game. My section is now seconds from the escalator, beer, snacks, and the restrooms. I'm very satisfied with where I am this season.

But now is the time the Cavaliers make available if you want to change your seats for the 2017-18 season. I find the process of doing this quite exciting. The Cavs have a site where you can see available seating for the entire arena. The Cavs sent me an email with a password with the exact date and time I can access the site. This is done by seniority. The longer you have been a ticket plan member, the earlier you have access to the site.

Humongotron ensures a good view.
The strategy I used in selecting seats was best value. In general, the lower the seat in the arena, and the closer to center court, the more expensive the ticket. I would love to sit in the lower bowl, or even courtside. But with my economic realities, that's not going to happen this year. Remember, playoff tickets are not included. I also plan on attending some Cleveland Indians games this season. They're American League Champs you know.

So when the appointed time came, I searched and scanned the entire arena trying to improve my seat. I was very tempted to get some prime seats that were available in the first 2 rows of the upper section. I was also tempted to get a half season package. I was even tempted to buy additional seats. But I resisted all these temptations. My wife would be proud of me.

What I did do was slide to the other side of my existing section. It's the same price I pay now, but a little bit closer to center court. Remember what I said about finding the best value? I can now literally reach across the aisle and shake hands with a person that paid almost double for their seat.

But I'm not sure how much longer I will remain a member of Wine & Gold United. Don't get me wrong. I love going to the games. The Cavs treat WGU members like gold. It does get a little pricey with parking and refreshments at the game. I also am able to sell tickets I couldn't use, (at a reduced rate.) But the main reason I like going is because we are Champions, and we could be again. Everybody wants to watch a winner.

It's all about the ring.
The other reason is I get a chance to watch one of the greatest ever, Lebron James, up close, and often. To say he is a rare talent is an understatement. He has the talent  to control a game. He is like a coach on the floor. Sometimes fans just take his abilities for granted. In addition to what he does on the floor, he does a wonderful job in the community with his Family Foundation. He is well spoken and is a role model to youth and even other players. But how much longer will he play?

This December, Lebron will turn 33. That's not old, but he's got a lot of basketball mileage. Michael Jordan's first retirement came when he was 30. Jim Brown never played past 29. Lebron is getting more and more involved in the entertainment industry with his own production company. He even acted in the movie "Trainwreck".

So will I continue to be a ticket plan member when Lebron calls it quits, or the Cavs become mediocre? My answer right now is just a definite maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog