My Favorite Apps.....

I recently got a new phone and I have to say I'm impressed with it. It's got the latest processor, the latest software, plenty of memory, and a 20 megapixel camera, (that I'm still learning how to use.) I had my old phone for several years, and it wouldn't stay charged very long. But the biggest problem was it was out of memory capacity.

To try to extend its life, I dumped things that I didn't use much and stored pictures to "the cloud". But even then I still couldn't update apps or store things I wanted. Now that I've got my new phone, I'm relearning the pleasure of using some of these applications.

Flash Seat souvenir ticket stub.
I list here some of the ones I think are pretty cool. I'm not going to list social media apps like Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. They're in a whole other category. At best, they're used for communication. At worst, - well, I won't get into that. You either like and use them or you don't. But I'm more interested in apps you use as a tool or utility.

For example, some of the digital photography apps are fascinating. Way back in the day, my father was an amateur photographer. He even built his own darkroom at home. He would spend hours down there working with chemicals and charts trying to develop the perfect print. I sometimes wonder what he would think of these apps and photoshop. My guess is even he would get the digital bug.

So here's some apps I like:


  • Flash Seats - This is a digital ticketing app that I use for my Cleveland Cavaliers seats. Basically to use it, you just bring up the app at the gate, and the attendant just scans a barcode on the app. A little paper receipt prints out with your seat location on it. It's not as cool as having an old school souvenir ticket, but I still save mine from big games. You can also sell unused tickets, or buy others with this ap. I never had a problem with it. I guess there was a Drake concert a while back where it didn't work and it took hours for people to get in.
  • Flixster - This is a great app for movies at the box office. It's not about the history of movies like Imdb. But for current or upcoming movies this is the place for you. You get a summary of the plot and can watch the trailer. You also can find out what area theater it's showing in, showing times, and prices. It will even give you information on recently released DVD's.
    Omar - looking cool with PhotoDirector.
  • PhotoDirector (Cyberlink) - I've tried many different digital photography apps an I seemed to have settled on this one. You can adjust your original image with a number of true filters. (I'm not talking about dog ears here.) You can do object removal, inset text, and a number of useful things,
  • Prisma - This is a digital photo app with a twist.You can turn any photo you have into a work of art. It will look like an oil on canvas masterpiece. you can choose the artistic style from a number of artists. Very cool.
  • Runtastic Road Bike Tracker - This app works like a GPS and shows you where and how far you've gone on a bike trail. It also gives you your time and speed so you can check your progress. Easy to use.




Just a boat on the river? Or art with Prisma?
  • Hoopla - This is a digital streaming service available from your local library. It's totally free. You can "borrow" music or movies for 30 days at a time. If you need it longer, just borrow it again. I don't borrow movies, but really enjoy the music. I like to try different styles of music and artists, just to learn more about them.
  • CLEseats - If you live in Northeast Ohio this is a must! It gives you discounts on dining from some of the coolest restaurants in town. (No, not the golden arches.) But if you could use 15% off your bill in a trendy place in Tremont, this is for you. Some of the specials change every week. Absolutely free.
  • Skype - I almost forgot about this one, I've used it so long. Greatest thing ever. Nothing like staying in touch with people living far away. Hellooo, Buffalo!


There's plenty of other good apps too. I no longer have to worry about carrying my car insurance card in my wallet, it on my phone. Many gamess are fun too. I just get bored with them pretty quick.

Smartphone applications have come so far, so fast, I wonder where we will be with them in a few more years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog