Paying for Winter.....

I'm glad winter is finally over. It's my least favorite season. Once the Christmas holidays are over, I'm ready for spring. Truthfully, this winter wasn't too bad. There were not many heavy snows. So you could pretend to enjoy looking at all the brown grass this year. The gray skies didn't help my mood either.

You don't think much happens over the winter. Things are sort of frozen in a time capsule. But you'd be wrong. Changes happen, both in nature and personally.

My back yard is a muddy mess.
Now that it's May, it's time for some yardwork. When I last saw my yard it was in good condition. Yes, there were some leaves that didn't get collected. But that's because my leaves like to hang on the trees until the snow flies. Plus we got sick of bagging them.

The spring thaw has brought branches, twigs, and plenty of mud to my yard, There were branches all over. Maybe the deer like to break them off. There were enough fallen branches to build a bonfire. As for the leaves that didn't get collected, they are still there. But the grass under them is gone. This weekend we had rain that just wouldn't stop. So now I've got just lot's of mud in my back yard.

In the summer, I like to have guests over on my back deck to enjoy an evening. But I have a lot of work back there before we can have a pitcher of Margaritas.

Winter also made changes to something more important than my grass. It changed me. No, I don't have an athletic build. Never did. But I am more active in the summer which puts me in better condition. I was made well aware that I am now out of shape last weekend.

Let's ride!
The weather was beautiful last weekend, and I decided to take my bike out for the first time this year. I had gotten into bike riding two years ago, and I became pretty good at it. I went out about twice a week, and gradually built up my endurance and skill. I was having a blast. I even packed my bike up for trips. In the parks you see all types of riders. I could hang with the younger kids for awhile. I was way better than most of the old timers. I certainly looked cooler too!

Last year I rode less. I don't know why, but it just seemed that I didn't have as many opportunities as the year before. So I want to make more of an effort to get back into riding this year.

Last weekend, I packed up the bike and went to the park. There are two parks that are relatively close to me. One is not far from my work. It's a beautiful place with a lake. The other place is a little closer to my house. But it's pretty hilly. I don't think there's 20 feet of flat land there. That's where I went. Big mistake.

I put air in my tires and started out. Almost immediately I had to figure out how to use my gears again. It's all hills. I got winded pretty quickly. I don't think I had gone much more than a mile before I realized I wasn't having any fun. I was discouraged and decided to pack it up.

I'll have to start from scratch again and build back my endurance and skill. Maybe by the time my back yard looks better I'll be a better rider again too.

But then, it will be time for winter again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog