Aging.....


Recently I was watching TV and a commercial came on. It showed some fellow who was supposed to be my age, although just a little older. It was a white haired gentleman laying in bed reading a book. He was wearing blue pajamas and looking worried. Good God, I thought. Am I supposed to be like this guy? I don't even wear pajamas.

Not a bad looking guy in 2011.
Aging is something that everybody shares. You can't avoid it. You can put it off for a while when you are younger, but it will find you eventually. You can eat right and  work out, but it still will catch you.

Google bears some responsibility in my concern. Occasionally Google photos will send me pictures of my past. Remember this date back in , whatever year. Recently they sent me a picture of myself on November of 2011. I thought I looked great. I had brown hair and plenty of it. Recent pictures won't show much of those.

The AARP magazine tries to make you feel good about aging. Of course, you only have to be 50 years old to be a member. Whenever a lovely celebrity turns 50, she is on the cover. I don't mind being associated with Hallie Berry of Sheryl Crow.

Since you can't avoid physical aging, maybe the next best thing is to feel young. Here's a couple of tips I will share to stay young at heart.

Me today,

  • Stay up to date on popular culture. Know what Kendrick Lamar and Chance the Rapper do. (Here's a hint: They're rappers.) Knowing this will keep you in the conversation.
  • Keep some young people in your life. Chances are, They're doing exactly what you did at that age. No generation really invents anything. The biggest difference is my generation had no cell phones. We talked to our girlfriends for hours on land lines. Today they text and snap.
Way back in the day, the thought was not to trust older people. They didn't like the Viet Nam protests, they didn't like the music, and they didn't like the long hair.

Today, many people my age don't get the music, and don't understand all the piercings and tattoos. (Ok. I guess you can include me on the tattoos.)

So I guess if you can't look young, feel young. Stay young at heart. Maybe your birth certificate is wrong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog