The 2018 Pizza Awards.....

I think I get pizza to eat about once per week. I love it. Most everybody does. Maybe because it's like eating fresh baked bread. Maybe it's the melted cheese. The sauce, the toppings. Who knows? Some people say pizza became popular in America starting in the 1890's with the influx of Italian immigrants to America. Others say that after World War II the G.I's brought the tasty treat back with them from Europe. Either way, pizza is now more popular in America than it is in Italy.

People even like to make it at home. My son even makes a good pizza, including the dough. But it's a big project. Most people get carry out for the convenience.

But what changed the pizza landscape in America forever was the opening of several pizza chains across America. Pizza Hut started with their brand in 1958, (too greasy). Little Caesars in 1959, (cardboard crust). Domino's in 1960, (fast), and Papa John's in 1989 (foul mouthed owner).

But to be honest, I feel the smaller, independent stores in my hometown Cleveland area take more pride, and offer a high quality product. I've written a blog about pizza before. Buy the field is so strong, maybe it's time for another look at this Italian treat. So here are my 20128 Pizza Awards!

Antonio's Pizza
  • My God! The Pepperoni Award: Antonio's Pizzeria. For over 50 years the LoSchiavo family have been making delicious pizza starting in Parma, Ohio. You're not going to get the cheapest pizza in town here. Just mouth watering goodness. You can tell they take pride in their work because they even list their long time employees by name on the website. Nice touch. Recently I had one that had two different types of pepperoni on it. OMG. Like a party in your mouth.

Stancato's: Even the cheese shines.
  • The Mushrooms! The Cheese Award: Stancato's This is another long time Italian restaurant in Parma, Ohio. (Did you know Chef Boy-Ar-Dee lived in Parma, Ohio?) They still have one location. In addition to their pizza they are famous for their lunchtime buffet. I can recall back in the day  some sales guys that would love to spend time there for lunch. But if I order a pizza with mushrooms from Stancato's I can instantly recognize it. I think they use canned mushrooms because they are not dried out and brittle. They're thick, almost juicy slices. The way it mingles with the melted cheese is just fabulous. 

  • Worth The Road Trip Award: Olde Town Pizza House, Amherst, OH. Sometimes I consider anything out of Cuyahoga County like visiting the boonies. But I went with friends to this place and was pleasantly surprised. The pizza was tasty with excellent crust. They even have gluten free pizza if that's important too you. But what I really liked was the decor of the restaurant. It was very nice, but was done with a wink and a smile. There was a rip off of a
    Olde Town in Amherst.
    masters painting on the wall. Mona Lisa looks out the window at you. There were cut-outs of people sitting on the roof. And I bet you thought the only thing cool in Amherst, OH. was Hot Dog Haven!

  • Best On-Line Ordering System: Romeo's Pizza This place is only about a mile from my house, so I get a lot of pizza from there. Always good stuff. You can get a good deep dish there too. But I never call to order. I just sit back, and order on-line on my tablet. It's easy, complete, and customizable. It's even cheap. The are special, (sometimes secret) codes you can use for discounts. They also have a loyalty program that offers you $10 discounts. It's a good deal. And a good pizza.

Everybody's got their own neighborhood favorites. But I bet you had some pizza no more than a week ago. No? Better get some tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog