The Camping Life.....


I guess you could call me a city guy. Or at least a suburban guy. Born and raised. I've spent most of my life in city environments. I live relatively close to my work. Stores and shopping are close to my neighborhood. If I needed a gallon of milk I probably have a choice of a dozen places within minutes of my house. My idea of roughing it away from home is a Holiday Inn. But there is a whole different lifestyle out there. Out in the country.

Country living.
Yesterday, our lifelong friends Mike and Anne invited us out to their campsite. It's about an hour south of our home. It's not just a trip on the freeway. You take  two-lane secondary roads for miles to reach the campsite. Traffic lights were just a memory. At least the GPS takes the stress out of finding the place. This is all foreign to me. Welcome to the country.

When we got to their campgrounds it was like being invited to their own private, gated community. We registered at the office as guests, and parked the car. Mike met us in his golf cart and drove us to his camper.

This is not the pitch a tent and fire up the Coleman lantern camping life. This is relax and enjoy the new camper that can sleep 10 people. In addition to ample area to sleep, the camper also had a fully equipped kitchen with inside and outside access. A bathroom with a shower. They have a TV in the master bedroom. Step out the front door, and you are on a rather spacious deck, and under the cover of trees.

The campground had a general store, a recreation building, beautiful restrooms, and playgrounds. It also had a private lake for fishing. But there's nothing like a  convenience store. Going to a store is not convenient because they are miles away. Don't forget something on your list.

At this campground you only get a slip of land for your campers. Your "yard" is minimal, just like the camper would be smaller than your house. Most of the campers at this campground were relatively modern. They ranged from tiny ones to large Winnebago type motor homes. Some were attached to decks or porches. But everybody was equipped to enjoy the outdoors. Many campers were sitting outside enjoying their neighbors. Everybody said hello. Most were sitting around a campfire in the evening. There will even be a Christmas party soon before everybody leaves for the season.

Chillin' - out in the country.
When people drove by on their golf cart they would wave. Whether they knew you or not. I think the reason for the friendliness was that everyone there shared a kinship. They all knew what living in a camper meant . They all had common problems and experiences. They would be happy to help you if you needed help.


So what's the attraction? Well, there's one big thing you leave behind when you come here. Stress. Nobody is wearing designer clothes.You don't get telemarketers. You don't worry about eating meals off fine china. Paper plates are good enough. Don't worry about emails from work.

My buddy Mike travels plenty for work. He views being at his campsite as being on vacation. A place to get away - and just chill.



It reminds me of an old Three Dog Night song.
Whenever I need to leave it all behind
Or feel the need to get away-ay-ay
I find a quiet place, far from the human race
Out in the country



Comments

Popular posts from this blog