My Favorite Christmas Movies.....

Regular readers knew that this was coming Last week I made a list of my favorite Christmas songs, and now the movies.

I think a good Christmas movie is hard to make. I don't think there's a simple formula for making a successful Christmas movie. Mix in some family values, some Christmas legends, and some colorful characters, and it should work. Right? Not so fast. Take How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The older animated version of the Dr. Seuss classic I love. The newer Ron Howard directed version with Jim Carey leaves me cold. Same story. Great director. Trying to make a live action movie look animated sorta defeats the purpose. It certainly doesn't touch my heart.

So with no real criteria, Here's my Top 9 Christmas Movies. (Why 9? Because 10,11,12 are all about the same. So I got 9.:

9.  Joyeux Noel -  This movie is supposedly about a real event that happened during World War I.  On Christmas Eve the German and Allied troops stationed in the trenches, only yards apart, called a truce and had a Christmas party together. If the story isn't true it should be.

An angel got their wings!
8. A Wonderful Life - I think this is more of a Thanksgiving movie. Most people living normal lives don't think they have much effect on the big picture. George Bailey gets to see the difference he has made. It's a redemptive movie. Yes, it's old. But it's a good message.

7. A Charlie Brown Christmas - To be honest here, I've never been a huge Peanuts fan. But you got to like Charlie in this Christmas classic. Charlie is worried about the over commercialization of Christmas. (True when it was made, and true today).  Actually I love the music more with Vince Guardaldi.

Rudolph from 1964
6. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - Old school stop action, Burl Ives, and misfit toys. If you can't smile and enjoy this, you're too old.

5. Home Alone - Some argue that this isn't a Christmas movie. I disagree. The scenes with Old Man Marley qualifies that by itself. A very funny movie. Kevin taking on the crooks may be the funniest scene in any Christmas movie.

4. Pluto's Christmas Tree- What's this, you ask? This is a six minute short animated film from the 50's. It's got Mickey, Pluto, and the mischievous Chip 'N Dale. Made me smile as a kid. Still does. I know nobody's seen this, so here's a link: Pluto's Christmas Tree

I always thought this ghost looked like a member of the BeeGees.
3. A Christmas Carol - ( The one with George C.Scott as Scrooge.) Outstanding. The classic tale of a redemptive Christmas. Ghosts, Scrooge, Tiny Tim! Wow, what else do you want? Plus everyone gets to practice their English accents watching this!

2. A Christmas Story - For any baby boomers, this is the classic story of the Christmas season. School, bullies, a favorite toy, giving hints. The only movie in history to utter the words, "Wow, a Zeppelin!" The worst part now is that it's run repeatedly during the Christmas season.Too much of a good thing.

That's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark.
1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - The story of the Griswald's Christmas resounds with us because it's the story of our Christmas too. Every family has crazy relatives, too much stress, and somebody obsessed with traditions. Absolutely hilarious. Classic lines. Classic characters. "Squirrel!

So that's my list. My wish to you is that you have the time to sit and enjoy one of these movies this Christmas season. In the words of Tiny Tim, "God bless us, everyone!" What are some of your favorites? Let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog