My Favorite Christmas Songs.....

The arrival of Thanksgiving this week marks the beginning of the traditional Christmas season for most people. I'm a little ahead of the game this year. Most of my outdoor holiday lights are up, and I even got a artificial Christmas tree. But don't worry folks. This is to be a supplemental tree for my family room. The Grand live tree (formerly), will arrive later in December with much effort and probably arguing.

Soon almost every radio station will be playing Christmas songs all day and night. Unfortunately, we will all be sick of hearing them long before Christmas week arrives. Also every television network will be playing Christmas movies and specials. I might write a blog about the movies, but not today. Today is about my 5 favorite Christmas songs.

To me, a good song, Christmas or otherwise, evokes a feeling about someone, some place, somewhere, or some story. These songs do that for me. Before I begin this list, I have two disclaimers. First, this is only how I feel today. It might be a whole different list tomorrow.
Secondly, I discovered this is incredibly hard! I love most Christmas songs.

One song that did not make the list, but holds a special place in my heart is called " Holiday Sampler". This is a medley of holiday songs arranged for scholastic bands. I played it in my high school band, and my kids played it in theirs. A highlight is when somebody gets to crack the " whip" in Sleigh Ride. I can't listen to this without tapping my toes.

So with apologies to Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, here we go!

Cheech & Chong
5. Santa Claus and His Old Lady - Cheech & Chong: OK, I know, this isn't really a song. It's more of a story. It's about how one burned-out Hispanic hippie tries to explain the legend of Santa Claus to his friend. But it's hilarious! This would make me laugh on Christmas or the 4th of July.
(I'll try to post links to these songs at the end of the blog.)

4. Christmas Eve / Sarajevo - Trans Siberian Orchestra: This is a beautiful piece of music that combines traditional Christmas songs with power rock sections that TSO does best. It's hard for me to listen to this without thinking about the back story. It's about a cello player that returned to his home of war torn Sarajevo. There, he would sit among the rubble and solitarily play Christmas carols on his cello. It was his demonstration that humanity still existed.


Nick Cannon - you're crazy!
3. All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey: This song was released by a number of artists, but I like Mariah's the best. She has a beautiful voice, as well as being easy on the eyes. You'll hear a quiet intro, and then it really get's some old school rock and roll. This song really says it all in the title. With all the hustle and bustle. All the shopping. The best gift you could get on Christmas is to be with someone you love.

2. Oh Holy Night - various artists: I can hear the groans. This is the only song on my list that speaks to the true meaning of Christmas. (So that's a good thing.) It's actually a beautiful song when sung well, that reminds us exactly what we're doing here. This is not a secular holiday like Halloween, it's a religious holiday.

Old school
1. The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole: Maybe this is a salute to my parents generation. Maybe it's a salute to another time when things were simpler. To me, what this song is saying is this: Slow your ass down! Take time to smell the peppermint. Christmas, unfortunately, has become a very stressful time. This is sort of an anti-stress song. My favorite way to listen to this song is in the evening, with the lights down low and the Christmas tree lights on. If you have a fireplace - fire it up. And remember, - although it's been said many times, many ways - Merry Christmas, to you!

So that's my list - today. You could argue, but you'd be wrong. But what are some of your favorite Christmas songs? Let me know.

Finally, for all of my tens of readers, have a great Thanksgiving this week.

To hear the song, click on the link:
Santa Claus and His Old Lady

Christmas Eve / Sarajevo

All I Want for Christmas is You

Oh Holy Night - Josh Groban

The Christmas Song



Comments

Popular posts from this blog