I'm a Proud Member of Wine and Gold United.....

As long as I can remember I've been a fan of the local sports teams here in Cleveland. Actually one of my earliest memories is walking into old Cleveland Municipal Stadium for an Indians game. I can remember walking through a cold urban landscape, and into the old dusty and cavernous stadium. I remember walking through the dark bowels of that place, taking in all the sights, sounds, and of course smells. Then you walk up a ramp and a beautiful green and sunny playing field unfolds. There's your childhood hero's warming up. It's a little magical.

I've enjoyed almost all the venues my teams have played at. The Cavs first home was the old Cleveland Arena. This was a rundown place that even used chicken wire in place of plexiglass for hockey games. But if you wanted to watch Wilt Chamberlain, or a young Austin Carr that's where you went. That was replaced with the Coliseum in Richfield, Ohio. It was in the middle of nowhere. Now it's just a field. But there were plenty of good times there. I basically grew up at old Municipal Stadium with the Indians and Browns. Who can forget it the horse troughs in the men's rooms. I love Jacobs, now Progressive Field. It's beautiful and has great memories. I have no warm regards for First Energy Stadium, the home of the Browns. Most of the games there have been a waste of my time.

But I've never seen a championship in any of these places. The Browns won in 1964, but I was a kid, and it wasn't even on live TV. So when the Cavs made it to the finals of the NBA last season, it grabbed my attention. Could this be the year? Finally? There was no way I wasn't going to be a part of it. You never know when that moment will come again.

The Cavs just blew through the East. The Golden State Warriors were next in the finals. I signed up for some email alert for a chance at tickets. They sent me some code that gave me a "chance" to get tickets. But if I remember, I had to order beginning at 10:00 am.in the middle of the work day. My friends and I were all on alert. When 10:00 came, I secretly, (against company policy) went in the back room and tried to get through. Everybody was helping me. Refresh, refresh, refresh. No luck. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. After work I went home and thought I would call to complain. But then I saw something interesting on the website.

Me & Jimmy
If I join the Cavs ticket plan group - Wine and Gold United, they could still find Finals tickets for me. me. The plans started with only a 10 game plan. The seats started at what is a reasonable price. So I decided to give it a go. On Flash Seats you can even sell the seats you don't use. I looked at the list of Cavs ticket reps.and decided to email some guy named Jimmy. He sounded like a regular guy to me. Jimmy called me back within 10 minutes. He clearly went through the process, and I wound up with a 10 game plan for the 2015-16 season, and 2 tickets to the Finals game 3.

The Finals atmosphere was something I'll never forget. This town was a zoo. I had a blast. But, (and it's a big but), we lost the game, and The Finals. But that was last year. Now, I'm ready for this season.

NBA Eastern Conference Trophy
Over the summer, the Cavs and Jimmy, kept me informed on the process and activities for Wine and Gold United members. Included in my benefits was a summer Movie night at the Q where there show a movie on the Humungotron scoreboard at Quicken Loans Arena. Other benefits include getting your name printed somewhere on the court, and a free Cavs warmup jacket.

Just before the season started the Cavaliers invited all the ticket plan holders to a kickoff party at the Cleveland Convention Center. Sort of a pep rally for the new season. Thousands of people were there. Tickets for free drinks and a raffle were given out. A line for free hors d'oeuvres and snacks were available. The program included the Cavalier Girls, an address by owner Dan Gilbert, as well as a round table discussing the state of the Cavs. The Cavs also unveiled their new uniforms modeled by Iman Shumpert, Mo Williams, and Richard Jefferson. Coolest of all, you got to take a picture with the NBA Eastern Conference Trophy.

But now, it was game time. My first game in my plan was last Wednesday against the New York Knicks. Before the game the Cavs had a reception for 1st year Wine and Gold United members. That's me. So my son Anthony and I arrived early, used my electronic Flash Seats ap to get in, as a substitute to the old paper tickets. More free beer. More free hors d'oeuvres. This time there was a presentation by the sales group. I finally got to meet my rep, Jimmy McNamara. He seems to be a great guy. Very personable,along with all the other reps. (If you'ld like Cavs seats contact Jimmy at jmcnamara@cavs.com) They went over a number of things, including how to use Flash Seats. Odd I thought. If you didn't know how to use it by then, how would you be in that room? But it was fun.

The view from section 202.
After that, we made it to my seats. No, they're not floor seats. But they didn't cost what floor seats cost either. Because of the Humungotron, you don't miss any of the action anyway. As for the game, the Cavs started out slow. Shooting bricks more precisely. But that's the new school NBA. Shoot 3's or dunk. The Cavs actually won the game by playing good defense in the second half. That's a sign of a good team.

But Anthony and I had a great time. I can't wait for the next game. I also want to visit my name printed on the floor. I've never been a ticket plan holder before for any sport. But no Cleveland team has been closer to a championship than the Cavs are now.

Yes, It's a long time till next spring. But hopefully the Cavs can have us dancin' in the streets. And I'll be there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog