Who's Addicted To Their Smartphone?.....

The new crack?
Scene 1: A woman enters a suburban grocery store while talking on her phone. She proceeds up and down the aisles carrying on her conversation, oblivious to her surroundings or other people. She even checks out and leaves the store, still on the phone, barely acknowledging the cashier.

Scene 2: A family of four enters a restaurant for dinner. After placing their order with the waitress, they all retreat to their own respective smartphones until dinner arrives. Then they place the phones on the table, but leave them open. Great family time.

While Scene 1 may just be a case of a rude human being, the second may be a case of cell phone addiction. We have all seen examples of this, but how close are we to becoming part of this afflicted group?

This problem is quite obvious to me because I remember when cell phones didn't even exist. I might have even been an "early adopter." While I didn't walk around with "the brick", I did use an early type of cell phone. Back then you could talk on them, and tell the time. That was about it. Texting? Whats that? Eventually cell phones killed watches. Now the cell phone companies are trying to bring them back.

Social Media has become your own personal CNN.
But smartphones do so much more today. Texting is so efficient, I rarely have to make a voice call anymore. When on vacation, I took more pictures with my phone than my wife's camera. Of course it is also your connection to the world wide web. Google and Wikipedia; the argument and homework assistant. Then there are the aps. If there's something you need that's not on an ap - I don't know what it would be. There's an ap for everything. Don't forget social media. Heaven forbid you wouldn't know all your friends are having a good time, and you're not!

There is now an official name for this problem, - nomophobia - is the fear of being without your mobile devices. You can debate whether this problem is an actual addiction, or merely an obsession. Doctors say when some people use the phone, their brain will release serotonin and dopamine. These are "feel good" chemicals that are also released when using addictive substances. They crave this feeling so it becomes an addiction

Obsessive cell phone use. on the other hand, may be a sign of serious behavioral or psychological issues. People with problems such as depression and anxiety self medicate by reaching for their phones. They can distract from their own lives and problems by following someone else's. But instead of finding relief with actual human contact, they use a machine.

Hey! I'm just writing this blog!
Now I don't think I'm addicted to my cell phone. Yes, I would feel strange walking around without it. Yes, it's a very rare day that I don't text somebody. But releasing chemicals in my brain? C'mon now. My wife says I'm addicted to this tablet. But I don't take it anywhere. It just sits here on this couch with me. It allows me to do two things at once. Watch TV, or have a conversation while on the web.  (My wife would strongly disagree with this.)

But this issue isn't going away. Kids today are born with these devices. They know no other life. So what can be done to help the poor souls with this problem?

Here is my suggested solution. Turn it off. Don't just put it down, or put it on vibrate. Turn it off. Not just at night either. Turn it off at dinner. Turn it off when driving. Turn it off when you're having a good time with family or friends. With real people.

In the 1980's First Lady Nancy Reagan was often criticized for her simplistic phrase to combat the war on drugs. "Just Say No." It was her solution. Well, call me Nancy. If you think you might have a problem with this. If your phone is becoming a dominant part of your life: Turn it off.

Powering down....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog