My 5 Coolest Happenings of 2016.....

Another year has come and gone. 2016 was a stunning year, both nationally and locally. Championships, Conventions, and Elections, But how many of the items actually impacted me directly? There are national headlines every day that we have a conversation about. But what did I actually  participate in that I really enjoyed?

Looking back, I didn't get a chance to go on any big trips this year like others. But that doesn't mean I didn't have fun. There were some things I'll never forget. So here is a list of some of the things I really enjoyed in 2016.


  • 5. The Revitalization of the Flats: This isn't one event, but an area that I enjoyed many times in 2016. Back in the 80's the Cleveland Flats were a collection of sketchy bars along the
    The Flats are a happening place again.
    Cuyahoga River. They were popular for a while. But they were dirty, unsafe, and closed after a period. Recently, they have been rebuilt and are now a showplace for the city. In addition to shiny new restaurants and clubs, there are apartments, condos and shops. People actually live there. There is a wonderful paved walk along the riverfront that everybody enjoys on a summer day. You can take a river taxi to cross. You can even rent a kayak of jetski. It's like an old dump has turned into a jewel. The best is yet to come as a Margaritaville should open in 2017. This area even played a role in what happened to number 1 on this list.


  • 4. Edgewater Live: The Cleveland Metroparks took over operation and management of the former lakefront state park. The results have been stunning. The beach and park are clean.
    Edgewater Live: Party on, dudes!
    Facilities are being built. Activities are regularly scheduled. Edgewater Live is basically a big beach party every Thursday evening in the summer. There is live music, tons of food trucks, beer and wine, volleyball, cornhole, yoga lessons, and free parking. But the biggest attraction is having a party in the sun and sand. I was disappointed when after recommending this, some friends of mine did not enjoy it. I hope they give it another try next summer. Maybe I'll give them a personal tour of the fun.
  • 3. Zipline Over Niagara Falls: My daughter lives in Buffalo so we visit frequently. I usually stay in touch with news of that area. When I read that a zipline ride was opening last summer in Niagara Falls, Ontario, I was ready to give it a try. It isn't the most extreme ride. It seems pretty safe even though you have to sign a waiver. But you can't beat the view. You are zipping on a wire for about a half a mile. You are traveling along the river bank toward the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. You can most definitely feel the spray. What a blast! It's one of those things you want to do over and over. But at $50 a ride that wasn't going to happen. (For a complete report read my blog.)
  • 2. Cleveland Indians Go to the World Series: This was an amazing story for a couple of reasons. First, the city didn't realize the Indians were a contender until the season was about
    The Cleveland Windians
    half over. Their regular season attendance was one of the worst in MLB. But maybe because of what happened with number 1 on this list, the team, and the community began to say; Why not us? By playoff time the town was buzzing. Everybody was All In! The second reason this was an amazing story was because the Indians were not a team of superstars. They were not favored to win any round of the playoffs. But they were a team of 25 players, each of whom would play a part in their success. They were a collective, not a "big 3". Manager Terry Francona may be the best in baseball at pushing the right buttons and using all the players strengths. There are lessons to be learned in sports and business  from the 2016 Cleveland Indians. Put your people in a position to succeed. Rely on them to do their job, and nothing more. If management believes in it's team, so will the team believe in management.
  • 1. Cleveland Cavaliers Win NBA Championship!: This was pretty much a once in a lifetime event. No team in my town had won a championship in over 50 years. I was just a kid when that happened. Pessimism and cynicism seems to creep into the community's attitude without even knowing it. The Cavaliers probably should have won the championship in the 2015-16 season. Then the injuries happened. You realize
    that in addition to talent, to win a championship you need a little luck too. The regular season was not a smooth road, but in the playoffs the team refused to lose. Pure determination. In the
    Celebrate!
    Finals the Cavs were down 3 games to 1. No team had come back to win from that deficit. EVER! I was fortunate enough to attend Games 3 and 6 at Quicken Loans Arena. The energy in the crowd was awesome. I paid for seats, but we didn't use them much. We stood the whole game. The concluding Game 7 was to be played in California and I was unable to get tickets to the watch party at the Q. But I didn't want to just stay home and watch a potentially historic game on my TV. So I went with some younger friends and we wound up in a club on the revitalized Flats East Bank, There were no seats. Just a mob of people. When the Cavs won there was a deafening roar. The crowd spilled out onto the streets for the Greatest Party the City of Cleveland Ever Had, or Ever Will Have Again! I was so happy to be part of it. There were thousands of people, not strangers, but brothers and sisters in a Championship! Dancing in the streets. Hugs and high-fives for everyone. I also think people in my town seem to be more optimistic since this happened.
2016 was quite a ride. I'm sure 2017 will have it's ups and downs as well. I hope all of you enjoy the New Year. Stay optimistic. Good things will happen. Eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog