Old Christmas Photographs.....  

I love to look at old pictures. They are a time capsule of a memory. An instant look at a moment in time. A time long ago in a place far away. Old Christmas pictures are especially great to look at. When you look at them you can instantly remember details or an incident that you may not have even thought of for years and years. But they can be sad too. Unfortunately many of the people in the oldest pictures have people and relatives that are no longer with us.

Not the 3 Wise Men - just my kids a long time ago.
But in a Christmas picture most everybody is happy. The decorations are everywhere. People used to dress up. The memories seem to be flooding back as I write this.

I think today people take millions of pictures everyday,  Everybody carries a cameraphone in their pocket. People share them on social media, but they're never printed up. Back in the day, people used actual cameras - with something called film. You would take a picture, then take the film to a drug store and wait for it to be developed. People would look at them for a couple of days, and then throw them in a box or album. Thank God for those boxes. Nobody puts pictures from their smartphone in boxes. It sort of makes me wonder how many memories will be lost for future generations.

Don't make a mess boys!
But back to Christmas. Some of the oldest pictures I've got are of me in a full fledged cowboy suit with my six-shooter. I might have been near an aluminum Christmas tree. It's a little bit like Ralphie in a Christmas Story. Back in the day, the 3 tv networks had action westerns like the Lone Ranger to inspire youngsters.






When I was young, the best thing about Christmas in my family was Christmas Eve. We would all go to my Grandma's house for a huge family celebration. All of my Uncles and Aunts, all of my cousins would be there. There would be plenty of food with huge bowls of pasta, calamari, and pizza. Tons of  special Christmas cookies, nuts and candy. It was a night for stories, laughter, and music. Everyone would gather in the basement to eat. Old pictures of those days are bittersweet as most of those people are gone now.

What do you get a future microbiologist?
But by far my favorite Christmas photos are old ones of my own kids when they were little. Christmas is such a fascination for kids. The decorations, a tree IN the house, brightly colored gifts under that tree are piled as high as possible. Music, songs, the sights, the smells. When you have children so excited - the looks on their faces are priceless. They open up gifts that they love, but will probably be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

As a parent, one of the greatest feelings you can have is watch your own kids filled with wonder, excitement and happiness. If you're lucky you remember to take a picture of that moment.

I hope you are able to go through some old Christmas pictures from your family. Remember the good times. Remember those that are gone. But try to make this Christmas special to everyone you know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog