Memories for Sale.....

They say money can't buy love. Some say money can't even buy happiness. But money sure as heck can buy memories. Especially at a sports memorabilia show. I visited one this weekend and I am always amazed by the size and popularity of these events.

Tons of stuff.
Sports memorabilia collecting is a hobby that seemed to really get organized with standardized values in the 70's. Price guides and catalog listings became available. But actually the hobby started much earlier. People have been saving sports collectables in attics and basements for over 100 years. How do I know that? Because that old stuff still exists, and is for sale today.

In my area, there are three words that sports memorabilia enthusiasts love to hear: "The Strongsville Show". This show is twice a year at a local hotel. It has been going on for decades now. The show in the spring roughly coincides with the start of the baseball season and draws dealers and fans from all over the region.

I decided to go yesterday. The first order of business was finding a place to park in the hotel parking lot. It was like parking at a shopping mall on Black Friday. When I got in. the room was huge. They usually put two rooms together, like huge wedding reception type rooms. Dealers and their tables were everywhere.

1948 World Series program
& my replica Championship ring.
The foundation of the hobby is still baseball cards. Almost every table had stacks and stacks of baseball cards of every era. You actually have to have a discerning eye to realize the differences between dealers and their specialities. On top of the cards, there are old game programs, photographs, autographs, pennants, bobbleheads, and more.

I wasn't more than 10 feet into the room before I saw a couple of items of interest to me. There was a 1955 issue of Sports Illustrated with former Indian Herb Score on the cover. Over there was a 1953 Bob Feller card. I could use that on the plaque I made for the Hall of Famer that hangs on my basement wall. But the cool thing about these shows is you have no idea what you'll see at the next booth.

The hobby is so popular, and some items are so valuable, that there are grading services available to determine the exact value of an item. I did see an odd thing, There was an older gentleman that was carefully scanning an old baseball card with a magnifying glass. In determining value, everything counts. Are the edges clean? Are there any creases? How's the quality of the printing? But the card this guy was examining wasn't exactly Babe Ruth. It was something known in the industry as a "common". That card couldn't have been worth much even if it was sealed away the day it was printed. But the real value is what a person will actually pay for it. That may be more or less than the asking price.

I wound up buying an official program from the 1948 World Series. 1948 was before I was born. But I have become more interested in Cleveland championships since I was able to watch what happened with the Cavalier's championship in 2016. The program will hang on my wall - somewhere.

Inside the program,,,
HOF'ers Satchel Paige & Bob Feller.
I think the reason these shows are popular is rather obvious. It reminds us of when we were younger, Names that make you instantly recall a special, more simpler time. These people are the cardboard heroes of our youth. Frozen in time.

I doubt if this has ever been tested. But I believe some alzheimer's patients could benefit from visiting one of these shows. Because each card has a memory for someone. Each card has a story. Just brush away the cobwebs. I bet one of those cards would put a smile on an older persons face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog