Songs That Get Stuck In Your Head.....


Where I work they play background music. All day every day. I guess it's designed to put you in a good mood. The songs are usually lite pop hits. Although lately a number of 70's pop songs, including Motown hits have entered the playlists. Maybe that's because we get plenty of seniors as customers. Maybe because whoever selects the playlist is a fan of the songs. But occasionally, one of those songs gets stuck in your head.

Recently, I was working with a buddy of mine and she suddenly blurted out, "I'm comin' out. I want the world to know!" It was the old Dianna Ross song that had gotten into her head. We just looked at each other and laughed. The rest of the day when I saw her she would sing out, "I'm comin' out!" That was it. The song was stuck in her head. (These days the words "I'm coming out" have a whole different meaning.)

Why do certain songs get stuck in our heads? Catchy lyrics? A funny phrase? I actually tried to do some research on this. But honestly it sounds like just a bunch of BS. There is no consistency to the type of song, or rhythm. After you hear it repeatedly it just gets stuck.

So here's a list of songs that seem to get stuck in my mind when I hear them. Maybe they get stuck in your mind too, or maybe you have other songs. They're in no particular order, except for the first one that gets superglued in my mind when I hear it.
Queen - Oh Mamma mia, Mamma mia!


  • Bohemian Rapsody - Queen. It's crazy. This song is almost opera. What astronomer follows: "Thunderbolts and lightening. Very, very frightening me!"
  •  Macarena - Los Del Rio Most people don't even know the words. It's like munblemumblemumble AAAYYY MACARENA!
  • Who Let The Dog's Out - Baha Men Woof, Woof-woof woof-woof Very deep stuff.
  • Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas The 70's were a magical time.
  • YMCA - Village People Admit it. You even like to make the letters.
  • Theme to Gilligans Island - More people know these lyrics better than The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. - "The weather started getting rough - the tiny ship was tossed!"
  • Cheeseburger In Paradise - Jimmy Buffett - The anthem to your favorite food. I like mine with lettuce and tomato. Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes!
  • Tubthumping - Chumbawamba - To be honest, I forgot that was the title of this song. It goes - "I get knocked down, but I get up again!
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens It's hard not to sing along. "A-weema-weh, a-weema-weh   
  • Mambo No. 5 - Lou Bega - I don't know the words. It just makes me wanna dance.
I hope I didn't wreck your day by getting these songs stuck in your head. But I do want to end this with a question. "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" -----

Comments

Popular posts from this blog